Get Closer to Nature: Experience the Magic of our Eco Resort
Updated: May 2
As our lives become more intertwined with technology, it can be hard to find a way to get away from it all and reconnect with nature. Eco resorts offer an opportunity to do just that, immersing you in an environment that encourages relaxation, reflection, and a deeper connection with the natural world. Whether you're looking for a weekend getaway or an extended stay, eco-resorts provide a unique and magical experience that will allow you to become closer to nature and discover the beauty of our planet.
Through thoughtful design, Camaroncito strives to minimize our environmental footprint at every stage ... from our approach to improving our land, to our construction process, to how we source our food, beverages and other supplies to care for our guests.
We hope to share our dedication with guests to intimately and sustainably experience nature's wonders. From sustainable architecture to eco-friendly activities, Camaroncito EcoResort creates an atmosphere of peace and tranquility that will leave you refreshed and rejuvenated.
1. Get off the beaten path
For those looking for a truly unique experience, "getting off the beaten path" is the way to go. It would be impossible truly experience nature in a well developed area where the original state of the ecosystem has been significantly changed. As a result, most eco resorts tend to be difficult to get to, as they are usually off-grid and far from civilization. Camaroncito is also off grid, as the last 30 kilometers of travel to reach us must be accomplished by boat (either 45 minutes by ocean, or 2 hours by river). But, fortunately, we are still surprisingly close to a major international airport! Tocumen International Airport in Panama is modern and reliable, and it is just a 2 hour drive on newly paved roads through lush landscape to reach our boat dock. Yet despite our accessibility, we have preserved the opportunity for guests to explore the wild lush rainforests and undeveloped coastline, and to reconnect with nature and all its beauty.
2. Connect with local culture and customs
While staying at Camaroncito EcoResort, you will have the opportunity to connect with local culture and customs. The five fishing villages on either side of us have remained mostly intact just as the environment has, due to lack of roads, electricity and cellular service. Book a private tour by foot, boat or horseback to the village nearest to us called Cocle del Norte to get to know the locals, try the local cuisine, and learn about the traditions. Depending on the time of your visit there may be local festivals, softball or soccer games, rodeo style events or just a FIESTA with local musical performers. Sarah and Ernesto are actively involved in the local community through both normal participation and friendships, and through programs they have provided for the improvement of living conditions (see our Community Development blog). You can ask questions, listen to stories, and be open to the experience. It will be a unique and memorable journey you will cherish for years.
3. Enjoy local flora and fauna
You can get up close and personal with nature when staying at Camaroncito EcoResort. Take time to observe the huge variety of plants. You may find you recognize some as being ENORMOUS versions of plants that you have in your homes!!! Look way up to observe the hundreds of birds, monkeys and squirrels among the trees. Look way down to wonder at the power of a column of marching ants, or the quickness of the lizards and frogs. Open your ears to the chirping of the birds and the rustling of leaves in the wind. Connect with nature and feel its healing powers. Enjoy the peace and tranquility of being surrounded by nature's beauty. It is a unique and magical experience that you will never forget.
Several troupes of monkeys such as black howler monkeys, Geoffrey capuchin monkeys and white faced tamarins wander through our property to sample the fruits and new leaf shoots on our trees. Many 3 toed sloths live on our property as we have many of the trees they like best. They are very hard to see within the forest canopy unless they are moving, which they don't do often, but sometimes they come right down to our social area! There are several types of toucans, parrots, parakeets, woodpeckers, pelicans, eagles, hawks, sparrows, herrons and numerous other birds to observe daily. Unfortunately, all of the natural predators in our area, such as black panthers and ocelots, have already been killed off by the ranchers. But that also means that guests may wander freely along our rainforest trails and along the beaches in perfect safety.
4. Adopt sustainable practices while visiting
When you visit Camaroncito EcoResort, you can experience nature in its rawest, most beautiful form. However, it is vital to remember that your trip to us should also have a low environmental impact. Here are five sustainable practices you can adopt while visiting us:
1. Pack light and use fewer resources. We offer free laundry for guests staying five nights or more. We also provide tall rubber boots in every possible size for guests to use on rainforest hikes or for horseback riding.
2. Reuse your towels and bedding. Our general policy is to change bedding and towels every three days for guests, but "mother nature" is thankful when longer stay guests choose to lengthen the time between linen changes.
3. Reduce energy consumption by turning off electronics, lights and fans when not in use. Although we are 100% solar powered, the drain/recharge process of batteries reduces their lifespan, so care by guests means those batteries will last longer!
4. Conserve water by taking shorter showers, not flushing the toilet after just one "light" use, and turning off the faucet when not in use all help to conserve fresh water, and preserve the live of our water filtration systems.
5. Respect the environment by disposing of waste properly and avoiding activities that disrupt animal habitats. We discourage guests from bringing single use plastic items. We provide full size, biodegradable shampoo, conditioner and body wash in all bathrooms. We purchase most of our produce local and in bulk, to reduce packaging. We also compost ALL organic waste, and recycle both aluminum and glass. There is no plastic recycling in Panama, but on the advice of an Ecological engineer, we use a high temperature burn cistern to cleanly dispose of any waste that cannot be composted or recycled.
Following these sustainability tips can make your trip enjoyable and eco-friendly.
Whether your goal is an adventure in the jungle or just a peaceful rest on a pristine beach, Camaroncito EcoResort offers a chance to get closer to nature and experience its magic.